Monday, March 22, 2010

5K Race

On Saturday I did a 5K race. It wasn't very big, there were less than 100 total participants, but I still wanted to do an actual race. It was at 8:00 in the morning, and it just happened to be a bit chilly. Okay, maybe not chilly...it was cold! The thermometer in the car said 29 degrees when I got out about 7:45. Since I pre-registered all I had to do was check in, then try to stay warm until the race started. I have "raced" a 5K before, but there wasn't any official time keeping, so it was different having a bib number that was unique to me.

I think it went pretty well, at least for my first official race and for how cold it was. I came in with a time of 34:46.7; 57th overall and 4th out of 6 in my age division. I am pretty proud of myself, I forced myself to run the entire time, something I have not been doing with my training runs. It seems like I always use an excuse to stop running; I can't breathe, my legs hurt, my side aches, etc. At least now I have a time that I can work on beating. The next race I have planned is the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in May. It's not a timed race, although they do have a clock for those who want to keep track. I'm sure I will be able to improve my time by then.

I really need to start kicking my running into a higher gear for the Utah Valley Half Marathon on June 12th. I have already registered for it, so if I don't do it, it is just a waste of money. At this point, I know I would be able to complete it and probably within the time limit, however, I really want to make a good effort at it. I'm hoping this is the beginning of many races to come!

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

That's awesome! Good work! You'll do just fine at the 1/2!

Jen said...

Way to go! That's great! One thing that is really helpful for me to get better at running is following the Couch Potato to Runner program at http://www.ehow.com/how_2091340_couch-potato-runner-short-weeks.html Also, if you get a sideache, breathe out when your opposite leg is in front. It will meke it go away quickly.
You're awesome!